Sunday, May 5, 2013

Intolerance by D.W. Griffith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWbRuhmsHPM 


Intolerance by D.W. Griffith
I found some footage of DW Griffith’s Intolerance so just sit back and enjoy genius. I think after Birth of a Nation and Intolerance DW Griffith made me have more hope for the cinema than any other art form. Although I think prose and poetry will always be there, I think film seems a more engaging experience for a general audience. Griffith, like many of the writers of his era, not only uses myths to shed light on contemporary problems but presents his story in such a fragmented yet effective way that a story that could have been a sleep-inducer is engaging the whole time. But then again, Intolerance has been a huge flop at the box office; and from what I hear DW Griffith has lost everything, all his money, from the film. All I have to say to Ives and Griffith is “It’s a strange world.”

No comments:

Post a Comment